6 Sofa Trends To Covet In 2021
The single most used – and one would hope, loved – piece of furniture in your home is your sofa. And as any interior stylist would tell you, if you want to instantly update your living room, you can totally transform the space with a new and stylish sofa.
Given the importance of this piece of furniture, it makes sense that you research, consider and choose your sofa with care. As with any year, there are trends to track, but perhaps, this year more than any other, the comfort of your home is paramount – and this is reflected in the sofa designs that are most coveted for 2021.
1. Luxurious Sofas
What we learnt in 2020, is if you’re going to spend a lot of time in the home; you want your space and furniture to be both supremely comfortable and stylish. Regardless of the size, style or colour of your sofa, the number one consumer request for 2021, is superior design and craftsmanship.
2. Exceedingly Comfortable and Oversized Couches
Call it the ‘Cocoon Effect’, this desire for supreme comfort is most likely a consequence to spending more time in our home in the last year. And one obvious element of sofa design that translates to extreme comfort, is size.
While many of us may be considering an oversized sofa, we’re also adding lashings of lush cushions to create another layer of sumptuous comfort to our lounging. A word of caution when choosing an oversized sofa; be sure to realistically factor in the scale of your sofa to suit your living space.
3. Contemporary Modular and L-shaped Sofas
One of the most versatile choices for a sofa is a modular design. These contemporary sofas usually come in a practical L-shape design. Streamlined and supremely comfortable, there’s little wonder that modular sofas are increasingly popular.
A modular sofa can be arranged to fit almost any living space, providing a variety of convenient configurations. The other advantage is they seat more than a classic sofa, making them the perfect choice for families and those with larger living rooms.
4. Popular Colour Palettes for 2021
- Grey is the new black – with the added advantage of grey coming in an unlimited range of shades. Grey is both sophisticated and practical, plus it tends to fit in with almost any style of living space, as well as mixing well with most other colours.
- Rich emerald green denotes luxury – plus it works with both classic designs as it does with sleek, contemporary designs.
- Navy blue will always remain a favourite as long as the Hamptons look prevails – and that classic coastal style of interiors isn’t fading any time soon. Navy also coordinates perfectly with white and natural materials such as wood, rattan and bamboo.
- Think pink if you want to make a statement – pink is a sophisticated, warm and welcoming colour that also speaks of a sense of fun.
- White – while wildly impractical, who doesn’t love an elegant white sofa? White works with anything – from Scandinavian styled interiors, to stark minimalism through to a classically designed living room.
- Princely purple is lush – it’s also a regal colour that implies a grand style of living. Purple is also a colour that works beautifully with gold accented furniture and fittings.
5. Vintage and Classic Style Sofas
As we head into 2021, antiques and vintage-inspired interior pieces are only gaining in popularity. Perhaps fuelled by nostalgia for times when our lives were slower, or simply because vintage and classic designs scream elegance.
Furniture designers in response to the ever-growing demand for classical designs are creating the best of two worlds in their designs – the refinement of yesterday with the practical design considerations of today.
6. Leather and Linen Sofas
Often fashion and interiors crossover and this particular trend is one example. Linen today is as hot in the living room as it is on the catwalk. Luscious, richly woven linen (often mixed with cotton) has a lovely relaxed feel and earthy texture. Quality linen also looks as natural as it feels, plus it is a hardwearing, long lasting fabric.
For an enduring look and finish, leather sofas will always be in style for some people. The classic Chesterfield design is iconic for good reason. With its deep seats, beautifully rounded armrests and the rich colours of leather, the Chesterfield is a classic, long lasting design. Equally evocative of steampunk chic as it is suggestive of an executive boardroom, a quality leather sofa is at home in any stylish space.