STYLING A BOOKSHELF: 5 HOMES THAT GET IT OH SO RIGHT + 5 TIPS FOR STYLING YOUR OWN
Posted on 15 May 2017
A house really isn't a home if it's not filled with books, books read, books waiting and books on the go. There is something so incredibly captivating about a book filled shelf entwined with personal odds and ends, artwork and touches of draping greenery; all masterfully styled of course! Certainly styling a bookcase is an art unto itself. It just isn't going to look very chic and visually appealing if you simply just add things to the shelves without putting much thought into it. A show stopping bookcase does in fact take a little planning but with our list of styling tips, it will be a breeze. But first off lets take a peek at some lust worthy bookshelves that definitely got it right….
This colour coded simple and low profile bookshelf is enough to give any book lover twinges of envy! It's the few personal touches and the gorgeous outwards facing book covers that make this bookshelf so magic.
Think out of the box (literally!) In terms of what a traditional bookshelf shape should be for lustworthy results every time! Pair a creative bookshelf solution back with some accessories for a striking look.
Whilst there is no distinctive order to this overflowing bookshelf, its beauty and cohesiveness centres around one perfectly placed whimsy central vignette. The eye is drawn right in and the chaos of books en masse is overlooked.
Minimal, monotone, organic and simple + a touch of greenery… this bookshelf really is what dreams are made of!
5 TIPS FOR STYLING YOUR BOOKCASE
- Mix up the book placement- Try using a mix of vertical and horizontal arrangements. Do this both within the same shelf and then also try mixing up the way entire shelves are arranged so that one shelf is all horizontal and another is all vertical. Try placing some books flat with their spines, colourful bindings and titles showing just to create different heights, widths and spaces within your shelf.
- Try arranging your books by colour- This is often a bit controversial, but unless you have a collection of a couple of thousand plus, it shouldn't make it any more difficult to find the books you're looking for. To go the extra mile you could also colour code your decorative objects, art and greenery in sync with your books to really make it pop!
- Decorative objects- Make sure you add in some gorgeous decorative objects. Sculptural objects are best, this can be a bowl, vase, bookend, teapots, treasures from your travels..the possibilities are endless. Trinket boxes and baskets are also a great addition to a bookshelf and come with the added bonus of giving you somewhere too stash your odds and ends.
- Add something organic/natural- Every bookshelf needs something earthy and organic as book are such hard, rigid shapes especially en masse on a shelf so they need something to counterbalance this. Greenery, coral, shells, bowls of beautiful rocks, birds nests , crystals, sea fans……just be inspired by what you find is key here!
- Artwork- Definitely incorporate artwork into your shelf scheme. You can pop small pieces on the shelves and even lean them against book spines to create layers within your bookshelf. Larger pieces you can dedicate space too and either lean them against the shelf backing or hang them within the shelf itself. Some book covers are works off art in themselves so show them off and forward face them…maybe it will inspire others to read them.