Light It Up With This Season's Best Home Lighting Tips
Lighting can drastically transform the feel and look of your home. It can be the difference between a dismal space that makes your heart sink, and a warm and inviting space that brings you joy every time.
Great lighting can lift your mood, inspire creativity and keep you motivated - and it’s so important at this time of year when it’s often dull outside. Let’s create some well-lit magic at your abode that is going to look great, and make you feel great too.
1. The Golden Rules of Lighting
If you want to illuminate a dark room, you’re going to need multiple light sources to make the space feel bright and welcoming. We’re talking layered lighting. An overhead light can only do so much. Rooms need a support crew of lighting options to get the job done.
2. The 101 of Lighting
Here’s a quick refresher of the different kinds of lighting and what they do best, so you can create the beautifully lit space of dreams.
- Overhead lighting is the starting point for lighting in most homes but expert advice is a firm “don’t overdo the overheads”. Try a large statement pendant or chandelier instead.
- Ambient lighting is your friend if you want to create soft, natural-feeling light. Anything with a shade or dome that diffuses light falls into this category and will create a warm glow.
- Task lighting is key if you’re in a space where you really need to see what you’re doing. Think about a desk lamp for a study or an arc-shaped lamp above a dining table.
- Accent lighting’s primary function is to look pretty and decorative. One is usually enough in most spaces.
3. Let There Be Beautiful Lighting Options
Before you add to cart, here are some of the best lighting tips from designers:
- Use a strategically placed accent light to highlight artwork.
- Place table lamps next to seating to provide another layer of light.
- Try tall torch-lamps that ‘bounce’ light off the ceiling to create a gentle wash of functional light down walls to highlight artwork and curtains.
- Keep it subtle in living rooms with wall sconces and floor lamps.
- Transform an awkward corner to create a polished style-moment with an oversized floor lamp.
- In all cases, choose warm or soft-white globes to create a soft, nurturing ambiance.