“BEAUTY IS FOR EVERYONE AND IS EVERYWHERE”
In terms interior stylists, Megan Morton is as good as it gets if not better. Megan is one of Australia’s leading and most prolific stylists, author of three books, sharer of extensive interiors knowledge and founder of THE SCHOOL. Megan Morton is someone that you just want to be friends with, thanks to all her encompassing cool, warmth, grace, innate sense of style and knack for making everyone and everything feel and look good.
Living and breathing everything to do with the home, Megan Morton has been called on to style, design and work her “house whispering” powers for celebrities, magazines and her next-door neighbours. Her work has been featured on the covers of international glossies including Elle décor and Vanity Fair. Locally, her clients include Vogue living, Instyle and Inside out magazine. When she’s not dressing homes and styling mantelpieces, Megan works creating luxury atmospheres for special occasions and dreams up beautiful rooms that make people obscenely happy. She is also the proprietress of THE SCHOOL where she shares and teaches, alongside other ludicrously talented people, the tricks of her trade.
Megan Morton’s unique and incredibly beautiful styling aesthetic can be summed up best by the woman herself: “For me, making a magical house is a bit like cooking. It is never just one ingredient that makes it great, and a lot of it has to do with the love, with the care, attention and time - you just can’t do it fast, it’s part of an on going story that is largely autobiographical. Plus great homes have never been just about the architecture or the furniture, it’s about who is in it and how you live - the people at your dinner table, the friends on your sofa. Great things are just not enough, it’s how you activate them and bring them to life that is the most important thing.”
Just because everyone needs a little Megan Morton inspiration in their lives, here are some snippets of magic from her HOME LOVE manifesto.
- When in doubt, go for bentwood chairs.
- Never hang a mirror opposite your dining table, unless you like talking to your family in the third person.
- When personalising your space, start as a purist and let it evolve.
- The most successful colour schemes have a dominant colour and a subordinate colour.
- Your home should be either underdressed or overdressed. Anything in between can be a yawn.
- Even if something is expensive, it only has value if you love it.
- The window is to the view what the frame is to the painting. Don’t scrimp on your windows.
- Comfort should override providence.
- Ignore urges to paint one wall a feature colour. Please. Instead turn your attention to the front door.
And last but not least, our favourite Megan Morton gem….
- Dream about living in an enchanted house. It really does happen.