THAT IS GUARANTEED TO WARM YOUR HOME AND YOUR SOUL
Winter brings with it not only the frosty mornings and bracingly cool nights and but also an abundance of delicious seasonal produce. Bountiful are the berries, citrus fruits, root vegetables and crisp apples. What better an idea than to take a rugged up stroll through your local farmers market and then pop into the kitchen to bake something soul warming and decadently delicious. Our recipe for Rhubarb, strawberry and ginger crumble is just that and oh so much more!
500g Rhubarb, trimmed and chopped
300g Strawberries hulled and halved
1 Tablespoon finely grated fresh ginger
1 Teaspoon vanilla extract
1/3 Cup (80ml) maple syrup
Coconut crumble topping:
1/3 Cup superfine caster sugar (or sugar of your choice, coconut sugar is a great substitute)
2/3 Cup Shredded coconut
1 Teaspoon ground cinnamon
120g Butter melted
1 Cup plain all purpose flour, sifted
Plain Greek style yoghurt and honey or fresh honeycomb to serve
1. Preheat oven to 180°C.
2. Place the rhubarb, strawberries, ginger, vanilla and maple syrup in a bowl and toss to combine.
3. Place the fruit mixture into an ovenproof ceramic or enamel dish.
4. Place the dish into the oven and bake for 20 minutes or until the rhubarb is soft and tender.
5. While the fruit is baking, make the crumble topping.
6. Place the sugar, cinnamon, coconut, butter and flour into a bowl and rub with your fingertips until the mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs.
7. Spoon the crumble mixture onto the fruit and bake for a further 20-25 minutes, or until golden brown
Serve crumble warm, topped with yoghurt and honey.